So I revisited my PI installations. The first day was just getting the basic process and connections working. Very simplistically…
. Scanned the planets in my home system for pockets of resources with a reasonable density
. Put down a Command Center near one of the pockets
. Put down an Extractor Head, Silo, Basic Industrial Facility, and another Silo
. Created links from Extractor > Silo > Industrial Facility > Silo > Command Center
. Used the Survey option to place Extractor Heads in the resource pocket, and selected an extraction program to run
. Routed the raw material to the Silo, then Industrial Facility
. Selected a program for the Industrial Faclity, and routed the output to the second Silo
. During this process I had to upgrade the command centre and communication links a couple of times to fit the modules or to get the routes working.
. I also added a Spaceport. Not because I needed to, just because I wanted to.
. I think I spent around 7 Mil in total for both installations, although that included a couple items subsequently removed.
I ignored the worth of what I was extracting – I just wanted to get something working. Because the Industry module could not keep up with the extraction, for the first run I selected a program which would just fill the first Silo. That could hold 500,000 units, which the Industry module would then take almost 7 days to process. (I never did check if the Industry Module could be upgraded, I might have to go check.)
On the second day I returned to find myself with some 900m2 of basic raw materials, which a quick check showed might have been worth around 50K in total. I moved them from the end silo to the spaceport, and shipped them to the Customs Office. I then updated one of my installations to add another extraction head > silo > basic industry module chain, this time setting a slower extraction rate so that it would run for almost 4 days – not filling the Silo, but easily keeping in front of the Industry Module.
Looking at that picture I realised I should routed the two Industry Module outputs to the same Silo. Oh well – I don’t consider this an ISK investment at the moment. I will at a later stage look at all the options I have to create higher tier or more expensive goods on those planets, but at the moment I assume I will lose the ISK I am spending. This is just playing around. I suspect however I will have to add a PI tab to my EVE Online Spreadsheet.